Party Wall Surveyors

“The wall separating terraced houses or semi-detached houses is known as a Party Wall…”

The Party Wall etc. Act 1996 came into force on 1st July 1997 and is applicable throughout England & Wales. The Act provides a framework for preventing and resolving Disputes relating to party walls, boundary walls and excavations close to neighbouring buildings.  Anyone intending to carry out works described in the Act must serve notice on the adjoining owner setting out their intentions.

The main works covered by the Act can be summarized as follows:

  • Works carried out to an existing party wall or structure
  • New buildings at or astride the boundary line between properties
  • Excavations within 3 and 6 metres of a neighbouring building(s) or structure(s), depending on the depth of the hole or excavation

We are experienced Party Wall Surveyors with an in-depth understanding of relevant Legislation. We accept appointments to act as Party Wall Surveyors for Building Owners, Adjoining Owners or both.  As Party Wall Surveyors we remain impartial to ensure the provisions of the Party Wall etc. Act 1996 are followed when applicable, taking the stress and worries away from you as the property owner.

If you intend to undertake repairs or alterations to a Party Wall or intend to build/excavate close to a neighbouring property, it is likely that the works will fall under the Party Wall etc. Act.  In these situations a Building Owner has a legal responsibility to serve Notice on all Adjoining Owners, including freeholders, lessees, tenants and some occupiers of the adjoining building(s). We can advise you of your responsibilities and act as your Surveyor.

Also, as an Adjoining Owner, if your neighbour intends to undertake any building works to a party wall dividing your property or excavations close to your property then we can assist you to ensure the Act is followed and protect your property to ensure any potential damage is put right by the Building Owner.

We can advise you as either a Building Owner wishing to undertake the works or as an Adjoining Owner where your neighbour plans notifiable works.

RICS: Party Walls | Better Let Your Neighbours Know

Survey-Icon.170 RICS Consumer Guide to Party Walls